Saturday 2 April 2011

I gab, you gab, we all gab.

How do you make a game voice sound good?
Bethesda and Bioware are two good examples of companies with great sounding in-game voices -I don't mean the conversations characters have with NPCs as they are incomparable with other games.

I'm speaking of the more 'passive' voice acting when walking past or talking to a citizen or guard and hearing a simple greeting. After playing the game for hours and constantly hearing the likes of; "Good day, Champion" and "What do ya' need, stranger?" I still don't get sick of those phrases.

However, sometimes you find some phrases in some accents really just get to you. For example the phrase that inspires this post's title, "Get gabbin' or get going." from World of Warcraft: Cataclysm.
Its an interesting and slightly comical phrase at least - Amplified by the strong old cockney British accent, too. On the other hand after hearing it a few times though I wanted to shoot myself. I even had to look up what gabbing was, although I hope that's not me just being dense.  (For the record, 'to gab' is to talk, extensively and about trivial matters)

What do you think makes a game voice interesting and believable?